Friedrich Schiller's Mary Stuart in a new version by Peter Oswald
Directed by Christina Koch
In the best tradition of ensemble, QSE will burst out of the buzz of Midsummer straight into a workshop production of Friedrich Schiller's Mary Stuart in a new version by Peter Oswald. Taking the equivalent of only 1 week full-time rehearsal to stage this major work from the German canon, QSE will revisit their perennial questions from a new angle:
What does it mean to behave well?
What are we here to do?
What drives us?
What sustains us?
Schiller, considered Germany's national poet, fan of Shakespeare, writer of dramatic verse, philosopher and scholar of the human experience examines the relationship between Elizabeth 1 and Mary, Queen of Scots, with timeless results.
- Q&A: Every night after the show
- Season: 2 - 5 October
- Duration: 2 hours (including 20 min interval)
- Venue: Geoffrey Rush Drama Studio, University of Queensland, Saint Lucia
- Times: Evening shows at 7:30pm
- Full: $20
- Concession: $15 *
- Group Discount (10+): $15
* Concessions are for full-time students, pensioners, health care card holders, MEAA card holders, 4ZZZ subscriber card holders, and Queensland Shakespeare Ensemble members.
Cast and Crew
- Director: Christina Koch
- Prompt and Assistant Director: Laura McKenna
- Production Manager: Kylii Hobson
- Stage Manager: Belinda Ward
- Costume Designer: Angel Kosch
- Lighting Designer/Operator: Brooke Whitfield
- Musical Director, Violin: Imogen Eve
- Cello: Wayne Jennings
- Brandon Dowery - Drury; O'Kelly; Davison
- Matt Gaffney - Talbot, Lord Shrewsbury
- Nick James - Mortimer
- Zac Kelty - Paulet
- Flloyd Kennedy - Kennedy
- Rebecca Murphy - Mary
- Rob Pensalfini - Leicester
- Silvan Rus - Aubespine; Melvil
- Colin Smith - Burleigh
- Johancée Theron - Elizabeth
How To Get There
Bus: Brisbane City Council buses stop at several locations on the university campus. The Studio is closest to the UQ Lakes bus station, which is serviced by BCC bus routes 29, 109, 139, 169, 192, and 209. Visit the TransLink website for more information.
Ferry: The Brisbane City Council's UQSL Citycat service stops at the University of Queensland ferry terminal on Sir William Macgregor Drive, approximately 400 metres' walk from the Studio. Visit the TransLink website for more information.
Car: The studio is best accessed by car via Sir Fred Schonell Drive - drive east to Campbell Road, then turn left onto Blair Drive, then right onto Union Road. Limited parking is available on the south end of Union Road near university buildings 21B and 22; more spaces are available on the lower floor of the UQ Centre, as well as at open-air spaces adjacent to the UQ Sport Aquatic Centre. Parking is metered until 9pm on weeknights, and is free on weekends. For more information on parking at UQ, visit the Parking at UQ website.