If you think you don't have time for Shakespeare, think again.
Back again in 2019, the ever-popular Shakespeare's Shorts continues to perform for events and festivals through the year.
Shakespeare's Shorts are fast and funny half-hour versions of the original scripts, delivered with QSE's trademark clarity and accessibility, and featuring trained, experienced actors. Each of the Shorts also features gentle audience participation to get you into the action.
A highly entertaining performance with lots of laughs from a big crowd!
- The Gap Residents Association
The Half-Hour Hamlet takes out all the procrastination - the tragedy is performed in 20 minutes, then in 7 minutes, and again in just 3.
Midsummer's Mechanicals draws together the hilarious mechanicals from A Midsummer Night's Dream, following the rollicking adventures of an amateur theatre troupe bent on stardom.
Instant Romeo & Juliet turns the tragedy of the star-crossed lovers into a high-paced comedy with plenty of wooden-sword-buckling.
You (individually and collectively) engaged the audience and drew us in. It made for a really enjoyable time. Hopefully, some of the children will now look on Shakespeare as something more than obscure plays in a funny language.
- audience member at Markets shows, 2016
The half-hour pieces have been specifically designed to be performed in a variety of public and private venues, are entirely portable and adaptable:
- Our approach makes Shakespeare fun, accessible and easy to understand.
- Our actors are professional and experienced.
- All of our shows include some gentle audience interaction.
- We can tailor the Shorts to suit different age-groups, from kids to adults.
- We bring everything that's needed with us - sets, props and costumes.
- No mics are required; our actors undergo voice-training and arrive warmed-up.
- Our performance space requirements are a mere 5m x 5m minimum.
Find out more about bringing Shakespeare's Shorts to your school here.
Would you like to bring the Shorts to your school, community, or corporate event?
Wonderfully fun & energetic performances, all our guests enjoyed it immensely!
- Athena Corbally, Jester Hill Wines
2019 Cast and Crew
- Director: Colin Smith
- The Half-Hour Hamlet
- Ellen Hardisty - Hamlet
- Liliana Macarone - Horatio, Polonius
- Frances Marrington - Claudius, Ghost
- Rebecca Murphy - Gertrude, Ophelia
- Dudley Powell - Laertes, Marcellus
- Midsummer's Mechanicals
- Liliana Macarone - Nicola Bottom/Pyramus
- Frances Marrington - Peta Quince
- Rebecca Murphy - Snug/Wall/Lion
- Dudley Powell - Francis Flute/Thisbe
- Instant Romeo & Juliet
- Liliana Macarone - Mercutio, Friar Laurence
- Frances Marrington - Prince, Juliet, Apothecary
- Rebecca Murphy - Tybalt, Nurse, Balthasar
- Dudley Powell - Romeo, Lady Capulet
Previous Shorts have included:
- The closing of the historic Avalon Theatre in St. Lucia
- The University of Queensland's Open Days and 2010 Centenary celebrations
- A corporate development event for the international Young Presidents Organization
- Abbey Tournament - medieval fayre
- Chermside, Sunnybank, Mt Gravatt and Indooroopilly public libraries
- Various schools throughout Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast, the Gold Coast, and Far North Queensland
- Brookfield Country Show
- Jester Hill Wines
- The Queensland Multicultural Festivals
- Queensland Young Lawyers Association and Queensland Law Society functions
- Maleny Arts Council
- Woodford Folk Festival
- Surfers Paradise Festival
- The 4MBS Shakespeare Festivals
- Anywhere Theatre Festival
- UQ Theatre Festival 2018
- Davies Park Markets
- The Gap Farmer's Markets
- St John's Cathedral
This show was one of the coolest/happiest/unique things I've seen at any markets for ages! My kids and I loved it.
- audience member, Markets shows 2016
How good do I feel, having my children tell their mates that Shakespeare's cool!
- audience member at Instant Romeo & Juliet, 2006