QSE's The Tempest transports you to an island filled with magic and adventure. Here you will come face to face with spirits, nymphs and other strange creatures of the isle.
Twelve years ago the Duke of Milan, Prospero, was overthrown and cast out to sea with nothing but a leaky boat, his books and his young daughter, Miranda. With the help of Prospero's sorcery, the pair survive together on a strange island. Prospero conjures a powerful tempest, shipwrecking the men who overthrew him on his island and setting a plan in motion which will change the course of his and Miranda's lives.
In this production, director Zoë Tuffin (MA Directing, WAAPA) brings two of her favourite things together, Shakespeare and butoh. Zoe uses the dance theatre form of butoh to bring this magical island to the stage and examines the themes of authority, forgiveness, and love.
Designed by Matilda Award Winning designer, Angel Kosch (A Midsummer Night's Dream, 2013), and featuring live music, The Tempest transforms Roma Street Parkland into a magical island in the heart of Brisbane City.
- Previews: Wed 20 Aug 7:30pm and Thu 21 Aug 7:30pm (Discounted tickets!)
- Gala Night: Fri 22 Aug 7.30pm (Mingle with the cast and crew and enjoy food and refreshments after the show)
- Q&A: Thursdays after the show 28 Aug and 4 Sep (20-minute Question and Answer session with the cast and creative team)
- Season: 20 - 24 Aug; 27 - 31 Aug; and 3 - 6 Sep 2014 (see below for times)
- Duration: 2 hours 20 min (including 20 min interval)
- Venue: The Amphitheatre, Roma Street Parkland, Brisbane
|Week 1||Aug 20
|Week 2||Aug 27
|Week 3||Sep 3
- Preview: $20
- Full: $30
- Concession: $20 *
- Group Discount (10+): $20
* Concessions are for full-time students, pensioners, health care card holders, MEAA card holders, 4ZZZ subscriber card holders, and QSE members
Please note that online bookings close two hours before the show's start time, but may still be purchased at the box office (subject to availability).
Cast and Crew
- Director: Zoë Tuffin
- Assistant Director: Zac Kelty
- Production Manager: Kylii Hobson
- Stage Manager: Laura McKenna
- Deputy Stage Manager: Caitlin Moushall
- Assistant Stage Managers: Rhumer Diball, Patrick Hayes
- Costume/Set Designer: Angel Kosch
- Lighting Designer: Steve Tibbits
- Marketing Director: Natalie Lazaroo
- Music Director: Rob Pensalfini
- Set Construction: Wayne Markwort, Angel Kosch
- Front-of-House Manager: Matt Gaffney
- Assistant Front-of-House Managers: Patrick Hayes
- Graphic Designer: Coleman Grehan
- Photographer: Benjamin Prindable Photography
- Matt Gaffney - Gonzalo
- Zac Kelty - Caliban
- Jason McKell - Sebastian
- Rebecca Murphy - Ariel
- Anthea Patrick - Trinculo
- Rob Pensalfini - Prospero
- Silvan Rus - Ferdinand
- Colin Smith - Alonso
- Andrea Templeman - Stephano
- Johancée Theron - Miranda
- Chris Vaag - Antonio
Venue Details for Roma Street Parkland
The Amphitheatre, Roma Street Parkland
The audience is seated onstage in the performance area, which is under cover. In the event of very heavy rain and/or high winds, the performance/seating area may become unsafe and the show may be cancelled - in this case, exchanges/refunds can be arranged at Front of House.
Refreshments: Freshly brewed coffee, cold drinks and cookies will be available for purchase from the Cafe2U mobile coffee cart prior to each performance and during interval.
Mobility accessibility: Due to the configuration of the seating banks, and QSE's unique staging, the performance is not wheelchair-accessible. Please contact us at email@example.com if you or a guest require assistance. Our friendly Front of House staff will happy help, upon arrival as well.
How To Get There
Train: The Roma Street train station is located directly beside Roma Street Parkland. All suburban trains stop here providing easy access to the Parkland by using Platform 10 exit.
Bus: Brisbane City Council buses stop at several locations near Roma Street Parkland. Visit the TransLink website for more information.
Car: There are two main road entrances:
Roma Street entrance - driving towards the City on Roma Street, past the Transit Centre and Holiday Inn, and turn left.
Wickham Terrace - Gregory Terrace - College Road intersection - driving out of the City along Wickham Terrace, take a left hand turn before the intersection lights straight into the Parkland and drive down Parkland Boulevard.
There are 200 car parks within the Roma Street Parkland grounds and a further 2,000 in close proximity. A 4-hour limit applies to bays on Parkland Boulevard from 6am-8pm.
Disability Parking: Disability parking bays are located near The Lookout, at College Close carpark, on Parkland Boulevard near Melange Café and on the lower level opposite Queensland Railway Platform 10. There are a small number of Disability Parking bays located near the Amphitheatre. No fees apply for Disability Parking at any time.