Corrupt politicians. Manipulative generals. Self-serving leaders.
After a decade of war against the Goths, the Roman general, Titus Andronicus, returns home victorious but battle-weary. He brings with him Tamora, the fallen Goth queen, and her sons as prisoners. In an act of ritual sacrifice to the gods, Titus kills Tamora's eldest son, fuelling a bloody and unrelenting cycle of revenge between himself and Tamora. Violent acts are met with more violent deeds, blurring the line between victim and perpetrator.
Seen through the eyes of modern day Australia, Zoë Tuffin's production serves to remind us of our most primal human instincts. When we have a brutal act committed against us, as an individual or as a nation, our baser instincts are awakened and we demand justice. But justice can turn to revenge with alarming ease and blood be answered with blood.
Set in the natural surrounds of the Roma Street Parkland, with live music and movement inspired by the dance theatre form, butoh, Zoë Tuffin's TITUS audiences will come face to face with these characters as their primal selves are unleashed.
Ready yourself for Revenge...
- Preview: Wed 19 Aug 7:30pm (Discounted tickets!)
- Gala Night: Thu 20 Aug 7.30pm (Mingle with the cast and crew and enjoy food and refreshments after the show)
- Q&A: Thursdays after the show 27 Aug and 3 Sep (20-minute Question and Answer session with the cast and creative team)
- Season: 19 - 21 Aug; 26 - 30 Aug; and 2 - 6 Sep (see below for times)
- Duration: 2 hours (including 20 min interval)
- Venue: The Amphitheatre, Roma Street Parkland, Brisbane
|Week 1||Aug 19
|Week 2||Aug 26
|Week 3||Sep 2
- Preview: $25
- Full: $30
- Concession: $25 *
- Group Discount (10+): $24
* Concessions are for full-time students, pensioners, health care card holders, MEAA card holders, 4ZZZ subscriber card holders, and QSE members
Please note that online bookings close one hour before the show's start time, but may still be purchased at the box office (subject to availability).
Cast and Crew
- Director: Zoë Tuffin
- Assistant Director: Rebecca Murphy
- Production Manager: Kylii Hobson
- Stage Manager: Laura McKenna
- Costume/Set Designer: Tiffany Beckwith-Skinner
- Lighting Designer: Steve Tibbits
- Marketing Director: Natalie Lazaroo
- Music Director: Rob Pensalfini
- Front-of-House Manager: Matt Gaffney
- Photographer: Benjamin Prindable Photography
- Austin Caffin - Demetrius
- Emma Beth Jones - Martius; Nurse; Young Lucius; Goth 1
- Rebecca Murphy - Tamora
- Anthea Patrick - Marta
- Benjamin Prindable - Saturninus
- Rob Pensalfini - Titus
- Silvan Rus - Aaron; Bassianus; Alarbus
- Linda Taimre - Lucius
- Andrea Templeman - Quintus; Mutius; Aemilius; Goth 2
- Johancée Theron - Lavinia
- Chris Vaag - Chiron
Venue Details for Roma Street Parkland
The Amphitheatre, Roma Street Parkland
The audience is seated onstage in the performance area, which is under cover. In the event of very heavy rain and/or high winds, the performance/seating area may become unsafe and the show may be cancelled - in this case, exchanges/refunds can be arranged at Front of House.
Refreshments: Freshly brewed coffee, cold drinks and cookies will be available for purchase from the Cafe2U mobile coffee cart prior to each performance and during interval.
Mobility accessibility: Due to the configuration of the seating banks, and QSE's unique staging, the performance is not wheelchair-accessible. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you or a guest require assistance. Our friendly Front of House staff will happy help, upon arrival as well.
How To Get There
Train: The Roma Street train station is located directly beside Roma Street Parkland. All suburban trains stop here providing easy access to the Parkland by using Platform 10 exit.
Bus: Brisbane City Council buses stop at several locations near Roma Street Parkland. Visit the TransLink website for more information.
Car: There are two main road entrances:
Roma Street entrance - driving towards the City on Roma Street, past the Transit Centre and Holiday Inn, and turn left.
Wickham Terrace - Gregory Terrace - College Road intersection - driving out of the City along Wickham Terrace, take a left hand turn before the intersection lights straight into the Parkland and drive down Parkland Boulevard.
There are 200 car parks within the Roma Street Parkland grounds and a further 2,000 in close proximity. A 4-hour limit applies to bays on Parkland Boulevard from 6am-8pm.
Disability Parking: Disability parking bays are located near The Lookout, at College Close carpark, on Parkland Boulevard near Melange Café and on the lower level opposite Queensland Railway Platform 10. There are a small number of Disability Parking bays located near the Amphitheatre. No fees apply for Disability Parking at any time.